VIRTUAL JOB FAIR 2012: Student and Alumni Job Seeker INFORMATION
The Virtual Job Fair is accessible through College Central Network (CCN) LSCC’s online job portal, October 15-19 to LSCC students and alumni.
Virtual Job Fair Instructions
Step 1: Prepare A Winning Resume
- Preparation is key to be successful at ANY hiring event. And with so many candidates attending, how will you stand out? Be sure you have a professional resume that clearly highlights your skills, knowledge and achievements. Useful resume-related resources as well as a sample resumes can be found in the Resume section of our website.
- Remember, you will want to customize your resume for the field you are applying to. For example, you may be seeking positions in either customer service or computer programming. In this case, you would want to create a resume that primarily highlights your customer service skills and experiences while a second resume would focus more on the computer programming skills and experiences you have. You would then use the appropriate resume when applying to each job. See resume resources on our website for tips.
- Career Development Services offers resume critiques for students and alumni through Resume Doctors, via electronic submission or by appointment. To schedule an appointment, contact us at (352) 323-3603 or submit an appointment request. Please allow up to 2 business days for a response.
Step 2: Log-on to College Central Network (CCN)
- The Virtual Job Fair can be accessed by logging on to College Central Network, our online job portal from October 15-19. First time logging on to College Central Network? Follow these easy-to-follow instructions to get started: Student and Alumni CCN Instructions,
Step 3: Search for "Virtual Job Fair" Jobs
- Click "Search for Jobs Posted to My School"
- Enter VJF in the School Job ID text box
- Click "Begin Search"
Step 4: Upload Your Resume to CCN
Once you have created a winning resume, you will want to upload it on College Central Network by clicking on "Manage My Resume" from the CCN Home Screen. If you chose to use the Resume Builder to create your resume, then it will already be in the system for you and no upload will be required.
Step 5: Apply to Positions of Interest
- Once your resume(s) is/are ready to go, you will then find your job posting(s) of interest (see Step #3) and follow the application instructions to apply:
- "Submit to Posting" to submit your resume. If you have more than one resume in the system, you will be asked to select the appropriate resume to submit with your application.
- OR "Apply Online" to be re-directed to the employer's website (the job posting will provide you instructions on what to click).
- It is important that you carefully follow the application instructions to make sure you re considered.
Step 6: Prepare to Interview
- The primary reason for participating in a Virtual Job Fair is to make connections with employers with the intention to make it to the next step in the hiring process. If you succeed in moving along this process, you should expect at some point to have to interview for the position(s) you are being considered for.
- Employers participating in this event have been given the choice to interview candidates on campus during our "On-Campus Interview Day" event or at their own company locations. Employers participating in the "On-Campus Interview Day" will be holding interviews at either the Leesburg or South Lake Campus on Friday, November 2nd. Selected candidates will be contacted directly by the employer to schedule an interview meeting time.
- Don't be caught unprepared when you are called for an interview. You should practice your answers to potential interview questions as well as have professional attire ready to go for your interview. You should also conduct company research by reviewing each job posting of interest and learning more about the company and the skills and requirements for the position they are looking to fill. Then, visit the company's website (listed on the job posting) to learn more about what they do and what types of candidates they are seeking.
- To view sample interview questions and tips, visit the Job Seeker section of our website. Career Development Services offers mock interviews to students and alumni and those can be scheduled via our appointment request form or by calling our office at 352-323-3603.
- Be sure to keep track of your findings as you will need this information to prepare for possible telephone and/or in-person interviews.
We wish you the best of luck on your Virtual Job Fair participation!
Job Seeker Tips
Questions? Contact Career Development Services at (352) 323-3603 or email@example.com.