Preparing to Graduate
There is No Fee to apply for graduation
The following requirements must be met by students planning to graduate from LSSC.
- Complete the course requirements for the desired degree, diploma, or certificate for the catalog year under which you plan to graduate. Beginning with the 2004-2005 academic year, students who maintain continuous enrollment MUST complete their degree within six (6) years. Continuously enrolled students who do not complete their degree within six (6) years will be required to fulfill the requirements of the most recent catalog.
- Earn a 2.0 all college grade point average as well as a 2.0 Lake-Sumter Community College grade point average.
- Associate in Arts degree students only. Meet the Gordon Rule English and math requirement with a minimum grade of C in each course.
- As of July 1, 2011 the College Level Academic Skills Test (formerly CLAST/CLAS) graduation requirement has been eliminated by the Florida Legislature.
- Complete a minimum of 25% of course requirements at Lake-Sumter Community College.
- Demonstrate computer proficiency.
- Make an appointment for a preliminary graduation check with an academic advisor. This should be completed the semester before one plans to graduate. Although academic advisors do preliminary graduation checks for all students, official graduation checks are performed by the Records Office. Until the final check is performed, it is impossible for LSSC to verify eligibility for graduation. It is each students
responsibility to make sure that he or she has fulfilled all graduation requirements.
- Complete an application for graduation and submit it to the Admissions Office prior to the graduation deadline for the semester in which you plan to graduate. Deadlines are listed in the Catalog and Class Schedule. Graduation applications must have the signature of an advisor.
- Satisfy all financial obligations.
Associate in Arts degree students only. Students wishing to retake a course for grade forgiveness must do so prior to earning their A.A. degree. Grade forgiveness can not be applied after an A.A. degree has been awarded.
All students completing their A.A., A.S., A.A.S., A.T.D. or certificate program MUST submit a completed graduation application PRIOR to the published deadline in this catalog.
Students wishing to participate in Spring Commencement ceremony: Students who are within 6 credits of fulfilling their graduation requirements in the spring term may walk in the ceremony providing they submit a graduation application by the spring graduation application deadline.
Degrees are conferred at the end of each semester; however, Lake-Sumter Community College holds only one formal commencement ceremony at the end of the Spring semester. * Participation in commencement exercises DOES NOT in any way infer the awarding or issuance of a degree. Degree conferral hinges solely on the students satisfactory completion of all requirements.
Graduation With Honors
Students who have completed a minimum of 24 semester hours at LSSC are eligible for graduation honors.
The appropriate honors are recorded on the students diploma. The honors, based on scholastic achievement, are as follows:
||Cum Laude (with honor)|
||Magna Cum Laude (with high honor)|
||Summa Cum Laude (with highest honor)|
In order to view the Graduation Application online, you must have Adobe's Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. Please visit www.adobe.com and download the software.
Please print and mail the Graduation Application to:
Lake-Sumter Community College
9501 U.S. Highway 441
Leesburg, FL 34788-8751