I want you to be successful in your online learning, therefore I am providing you with some useful information and hyperlinks.
Online students should possess the following qualities:
- Be open minded about sharing life, work, and educational experiences as part of the learning process.
- Be able to communicate through writing.
- Be self-motivated and self-disciplined.
- Pay attention to your own rhythms - When are you the sharpest during the day? When are you typically sleepy? When do you have the most energy? Remember that you have to be alert to study and learn well, so schedule your study time at optimal points in the day, not when you know you’ll be tired.
- Be willing to "speak up" if problems arise - otherwise I will never know what is wrong.
- Be willing and able to commit to 4 to 15 hours per week per course.
- Accept critical thinking and decision making as part of the learning process. The learning process requires the student to make decisions based on facts as well as experience. Assimilating information and executing the right decisions requires critical thought.
- Have access to a computer and a modem.
- Be able to think ideas through before responding - testing and challenging of ideas is encouraged.
- Feel that high quality learning can take place without going to a traditional classroom.
An online student is expected to:
Here are some useful links:
http://distancelearn.about.com/od/distancelearning101/a/studentsuccess.htm - discusses time management
http://www-class.unl.edu/DDEonline/dcssp/Tutorials/StudentSuccessTips.html - gives useful tips
I hope you enjoy your online course --