Applying for Financial Aid
ALL OF THE STEPS listed below must be completed no later than the posted priority deadline each semester for financial aid awards to pay tuition and fees. Students who have not done so will be required to pay their fees and wait for reimbursement to the extent of their eligibility, provided they qualify for aid.
Financial Aid awards are based on the total number of credit hours for which you are registered at the end of the initial registration period. Mini-mester courses that are added after that time will not be calculated in the student’s award.
- Before beginning the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you should apply for a Federal Student Aid personal identification (PIN) at www.pin.ed.gov. The PIN will allow you to sign your FAFSA electronically and later to access your processed FAFSA online. Dependent students must have a parent sign their application; therefore, the parent must apply for his or her own PIN.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by applying on-line at www.fafsa.gov OR via telephone at 1-800-433-3243. Be sure to list Lake-Sumter State College as your college choice. The school code for Lake-Sumter State College is 001502.
NOTE: For faster processing it is recommended that you utilize the IRS data retrieval tool when completing the FAFSA.
- Complete an application for admission to Lake-Sumter State College. A student's academic records (high school and college transcripts, degree intentions) must be received and evaluated before the student's financial aid file can be processed.
NOTE: Non-degree seeking students and some certificate programs are not eligible for federal financial aid.
- The LSSC Financial Aid Office will receive information on the status of your application electronically from the federal processor as long as LSSC is listed as one of your schools in step 6 of the FAFSA application. You will receive email notification to access your SAR online at FAFSA. Please keep it for your records. If you do not receive the SAR or an email within three weeks of submitting your FAFSA, you are advised to contact the federal processor at (800) 433-3243 from 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. Mon-Fri (Eastern time) or on-line at www.fafsa.gov. TTY Users may call (800) 730-8913.
- Complete a Student Data Form and submit to the Financial Aid Office. This form is required to receive federal and some state aid. Click here to fill out the Student Data Form electronically.
- Complete the Social Security Number Collection and Usage Form. This form is required to complete your financial aid file. Click here to fill out the Social Security Number Collection and Usage Form electronically.
- Submit additional documentation if you are selected by the federal government for a process called verification. If you are selected, it will be noted on your Student Aid Report (SAR) and the LSSC Financial Aid Office will notify you to submit additional documentation to support the information submitted on your FAFSA. Examples of required documents are: (IRS tax return transcript and W-2 forms, child support, assets, etc.). All supporting information MUST be received by the LSSC Financial Aid Office before your file can be processed. Once all required documentation is turned in, verification could take up to four (4) weeks to be processed.
- Students who have had a significant change to their financial situation due to company layoff of a family member, medical, dental, or nursing home expenses not covered by insurance that you were not able to deduct on your 2012 federal tax form, loss of income due to the death of a spouse/relative, or other special circumstances may be eligible to file a Professional Judgment. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for additional information and forms.
- A separate application is required if students are applying for a Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan. Loan packets are available in the Financial Aid Office.
The LSSC On-line Interactive System (LOIS) provides students with access to the following Financial Aid information:
- Award Information
- Bookstore Authorization - students may use financial aid to pay for books and supplies provided that the authorized financial aid award EXCEEDS the amount owed for class fees.
- Information regarding the status of required documents
- Standards of Academic Progress status - students receiving any form of federal financial aid MUST meet or exceed the minimum standards of academic progress listed in the LSSC catalog.
- Returning students MUST reapply for financial aid each year. Awards are not automatically renewed.
- Financial Aid awards are based on the total number of credit hours for which you are registered at the end of the initial registration period. Mini-mester courses that are added after that time will not be calculated in the student’s award.
Repayment Of Federal Financial Aid Funds
Students who withdraw or stop attending all courses prior to completing a minimum of 60 percent of a semester will be required to repay a portion of the funds received. This applies to all federal grant and loan funds received by the students. The federal government provides for NO EXCEPTIONS to this law. For complete details, please visit Title IV Federal Funds.
Additional information regarding these programs is available in the LSSC Financial Aid Office.